Making Memories Since 1934
The Plaza Theatre was a dream of Bruce Aspley, who followed in his father Judge Joseph Aspley's footsteps, (Judge Joseph Aspley owned the The Crystal Theatre in Franklin, The Dixie Theatre in Franklin and Horse Cave) by purchasing his first theatre in 1915, The Dixie, located in Glasgow above the Bradford Hardware Store. He then went on to purchase the Lyon Opera House in downtown Glasgow, which after remodeling and renovations, was renamed the Trigg Theatre. Money from this successful operation and innovated inventions was used to finance the Plaza Theatre.
Construction of the building, designed by local architect Dixon Rapp, began in the spring of 1930. Financial difficulties caused by the Great Depression made it necessary to proceed only as funds became available. The construction took four years to complete and opened on August 23, 1934 with the first movie "The Cat's Paw", starring Harold Lloyd.
In 1935, the Plaza Theatre began offering stage shows as an additional form of entertainment. Uncle Dave Macon was the first and many more followed such as: Minnie Pearl, Loretta Lynn, the Carter Family, Flatt and Scruggs, Porter Wagoner, and Dolly Parton. Not all headliners were from country music. Dinah Shore, Roy Rogers, and Gene Autry were among others who visited the Plaza.
During World War II, Mr. Aspley was active in the war effort selling war bonds and was recognized for his efforts by the state of Kentucky, the Secretary of the Treasury and President Franklin Roosevelt. Food drives at Thanksgiving, free shows for children at Christmas, and charity events to meet special needs were also held at the Plaza. Bruce Aspley was twice honored as Glasgow's Man of the Year.
W. Bruce Aspley sold the Plaza in 1973 to L.S. and Creola Slinker. The Slinker family showed movies, rented the Plaza to local groups and many residence remember a magician by the name of Dr. Evil. The Plaza started to show the years of wear and tear during this time due to economic downturn and larger multiplex theaters and eventually closed to movies and events in the early 1990's.
The Plaza was purchased by the city of Glasgow in September 2001. Renovation was spearheaded under the leadership of Mayor Charlie Honeycutt who worked tirelessly on the project even after he left office. Renovations were made possible through government grants, city funds, and the contributions of individuals and groups.
Today the Plaza Theatre has 1020 seats and thrives on live performances by national, regional and local artists, as well as touring groups, theatre productions and others. We aim to bring the best entertainment to the town of Glasgow KY for all to enjoy both locally and from surrounding counties and states.